Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Nearpod is AWESOME!

I discovered Nearpod on Pinterest as I searched for ways to use tech in my 1st grade classroom.  When you create a free account on Nearpod, you can search and download presentations (but there isn't a huge selection yet AND you have to pay for those) or create your own.  I created my own and attempted to embed as many different types of activities as possible to teach fact families and the connection between addition and subtraction.  So, you create the slides (which is super easy, if I can do it, YOU can do it!) and save the file in your Nearpod library-you can also share files with others. When you are ready to use a presentation, you receive a Join Code. Kids can access Nearpod by app, web address or a QR code, enter the code and an identifier, like student number or initials, then view the activities you created in a self paced mode or keep all students on the same activity at the same time. I embedded a short Discovery Ed snippet, basic teaching slides, multiple choice questions, questions with open ended answers and "draw it" responses. I especially like that I can open a student's drawn response on the smart board and have them come up to explain their thinking using Math Talk. I love that every response is saved, even a screen shot of the student's "draw it" response and the website/app keeps all of your reports for you.  What a great way to gather evidence of learning!! I look forward to using it again


.

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to learn how to use Nearpod! I'm so glad to know I can come to you if I have any questions. Thanks for sharing and inspiring us, Susan! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...Is anyone else getting a weird time for your posting time? I actually posted this at 8:09 AM, which is the time displayed on my computer. Instead, this Blog posted it as 5:07 AM. Strange!

      Delete